SWPS enjoys a broad and balanced curriculum that encourages students' sense of curiosity and encourages them to seek information themselves to compliment their studies and academic interests.
The curriculum is under constant review and school policies relating to the academic aspects of the school (including curriculum, teaching and learning, examinations, assessment, etc.) are reviewed annually.
The subjects studied in Year 7 are:
|Design & Technology||Drama|
|& PSHCE (Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship & Economic Education)|
SWPS feels that homework is valuable in that:
- It can help students to make more rapid progress in learning
- It can allow students to develop the practice of working on their own without the constant presence of their teacher or other students
- It can allow valuable practice of skills learned in the classroom
- It can allow students to extend their learning outside of the classroom
- It gives opportunities to use outside resources and for long term research and projects
The amount of homework set depends on which year students are in, and all students are given a homework timetable outlining their week's worth of work.
Year 7 will have a maximum total of 5 hours and 20 minutes of homework set per week. English and Maths will set 2 x 20 minutes a week. All other subjects will set 1 x 20 min a week.
Year 8 will have a maximum total of 6 hours and 20 minutes homework set per week. English and Maths will set 2 x 20 minutes a week. All other subjects will set 1 x 25 min a week.
Year 9 will have a maximum total of 7 hours homework set per week. Maths and English will set 50 minutes a week; each MFL will set a total of 35 minutes a week and all other subjects 25 minutes a week.